Events in Downtown Dover
Explore a variety of free and public events happening in Downtown Dover this month! Information about the events may change, so be sure to check individual websites for any updates.
Please note that while all events are free, some require pre-registration.
Unlock Value during your visit downtown with the Capital Keys program. Sign -up for free today!
Visit our Events Facebook Page for updates throughout the month, including paid events for local businesses and around Kent County.
Upcoming August Events
Every Thursday from 1:30 to 3:30 p.m., visit the Biggs Museum at 406 Federal St for free admission, a selection of stories read by library staff, and a special hands-on craft led by museum staff. Recommended for kids between 3 to 9 years old.
Occurs August 4, 11, and 18.
Reservations strongly encouraged.
Questions? Call (302)-674-2111 or visit 406 Federal St. Dover, DE
Come with your family and friends and your blankets/lawn chairs for a family friendly night out! Live music & entertainment occuring on Thursday evenings at 7:00 p.m. @ The Green in downtown Dover.
- Best Kept Soul, August 4
- Michelle Danette & Friends, August 11
- Joe Balone, August 18
- Comfort Zone, August 25
In case of inclement weather, please call the Weather Line at (302) 736-7155.
Questions? Call (302)-674-7541 or visit 10 Electric Ave (Schutte Park) Dover, DE.
Open Mic Night
On the last Saturday of each month from 6 to 9 p.m., join the Dover Art League's Open Mic Night at 21 W Loockerman St! Singers/songwriters, musicians, poets, sound artists, story tellers, spoken word artists, and comedians are all encouraged to join. Sign up sheet will be at the door and microphones and sound system are provided.
Questions? Call (302) 747-7169, email firstname.lastname@example.org or visit 21 W. Loockerman St.
The Dover Public Library provides free and public programming nearly every day of the week! This summer, check out some of their reoccuring and featured events, with opportunities for all ages!
Events are at the Dover Public Library, 35 Loockerman Plaza, Dover DE, unless otherwise noted.
Reoccuring Weekly Events
- Sunday Movie Matinee - Occurs every Sunday at 2pm in the Children's Program Room. Popcorn provided!
- Ponyo - August 7
- The Little Mermaid - August 14
- Mad Science Monday - Registration Required
- Millie the Manatee - August 1
- Beachy Clean: Marine Debris in the Community - August 8
- Center for Aquatic Sciences - August 15
- Tuesday Film Screening - Occurs every Tuesday at 1:30p.m. in the Multi-Purpose Room.
- Father Stu - August 2, Rated R
- The Bookshop - August 9, Rated PG-13
- Licorice Pizza - August 16, Rated R
- Brian Wilson: Long Promised Road - August 23, Not Rated
- Only the Animals - August 30, Rated R
- Wednesday Chix with Stix - Occurs every Wednesday at 1:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m. in the Conference Room.
- Participate in your favorite fiber art - relax, chat, and work on or start a new project with other crafters
- Note: this is not a group that teaches how to knit or crochet. Contact the library if interested in a class.
- Thursday Baby & Me - Occurs every Thursday at 9:30 a.m. to 10:15 a.m.
- Nursery rhymes, stories, and fingerplays to introduce babies to language and literacy, for ages newborn to 18 months.
- Tween Thursday - Occurs every Thursday at 5 p.m. for ages 9-12 years old.
- Puff Paint Seashells - August 4
- Ocean Themed Slime Creations - August 11
- Friday Songs & Stories - Occurs every Friday from 10:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m.
- Songs and stories for all ages!
- Super Saturday! - Occurs every Saturday from 2:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m.
- A variety of fun crafts and activities for kids of all ages!
- For Children & Families
- Touch a Truck - August 3, 10:00 a.m.
- PAWS for Reading - August 9, 6:30 p.m.
- Touch a Truck - August 10, 10:00 a.m.
- Clem Bowen, interactive story teller - August 12, 10:30 a.m.
- Touch a Truck - August 17, 10:00 a.m.
- PAWS for Reading - August 23, 6:30 p.m.
- For Tweens (9-13 years old)
- Intensive Code Club - August 3, 6:30 p.m. - Registration Required.
- Intensive Code Club - August 10, 6:30 p.m. - Registration Required.
- Intensive Code Club - August 17, 6:30 p.m. - Registration Required.
- Video Game Night - August 18, 5:00 p.m.
- For Teens (13-18 years old)
- Painted Seashells, August 1, 2:00 p.m.
- Ribbon Windsocks - August 11, 4:00 p.m.
- Shark Attack - August 15, 12:00 p.m. - Registration Required.
- Stuffed Sea Monsters - August 17, 5:00 p.m.
- Squid Dissection - August 23, 1:30 p.m.
- Adults (18+)
- Adult Book Group: "The Last Thing He Told Me" by Laura Dave - August 28, 2:00 p.m.
- Scrabble Tile Magnets - August 14, 2:00 p.m.
- Backyard Composting with the Delaware Master Gardeners - August 16, 6:30 p.m.
- Free Public Archaeology Presentation: American Indian Towns - August 20, 10:00 a.m.
- Naloxone Access Training - August 25, 6:00 p.m.
- Naloxone Point of Distribution - August 25, 7:00 p.m.
- Tuesday in the Park - Join the Dover Public Library and City of Dover's Parks & Recreation Department for reading, fun, exercise and lunch! Occurs from 11:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. *Check social media pages each week for weather alerts and possible location changes
- August 2, Zumba with Kendra @ Dover Park
- August 9, Ocean Creature Presentation from University of Delaware @ The Green
- August 16, Cascading Carlos, Guinness Book Record holder @ Silver Lake
First State Heritage Park
Alongside special events during First Saturday, First State Heritage Park, Delaware's first urban park without boundaries, offers attractions throughout the week that will engage you in the stories of remarkable Delawareans and innovative governance in the First State.
"Interpreters clothed head-to-toe in Revolutionary garb await to lead visitors in signature thematic walking tours, seasonal lantern-lit programs, craft workshops, and special events highlighting bygone eras. Oriented around the Dover Green, where Revolutionary soldiers marched, the US Constitution was ratified, Freedom Seekers escaped slavery, and crusading suffragists expanded equality, there is so much to discover in this historic half-acre! Visitors begin their experience at the John Bell House before visiting other sites in walking distance, including the Old State House, Legislative Hall, The Biggs Museum of American Art, the Delaware Public Archives, and Johnson Victrola Museum. Take a step back in time or relax in soft grass beneath the towering trees that have shaded visitors for 150 years, all at First State Heritage Park."
** Guests are encouraged to wear comfortable shoes and bring water for all walking tours.
- Delaware Public Archives - 121 N Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd.
- One of the oldest archives in the country, containing materials from the 17th century to today.
- Open Monday to Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
- Walking Tour from the John Bell House - 43 The Green
- Led by a knowledgable interpreter, experience the stories of the sites and people that have defined the First State experience. There is always something new to discover each time you visit!
- Open Wednesday to Saturday from 9:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. with walking tours on the hour from 10:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
- Special Events
- Colonail Trades: Shoemaker (August 20, 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.): The Revolutionary War would ultiamtely kill approximately 2% of the entire population of the pre-war 13 Colonies. Attempting to stem this horrific bloodletting were the surgeons of the Continential Army who, despite handicaps in scientific knowledge, strove mightily to preserve life. Join a guest interpreter in exploring tools and trade of these early surgeons and doctors.
- Suffragist Headquarters (August 26-27, 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.): In the spring of 1920, the campaign for women's right to vote came to Delaware, spilling out from the halls of the Old State House and onto the Dover Green. There, "Suffs" and their "Anti" counterparts waged a war of words and roses to determine the fate of the 19th Amendment. Visit the John Bell House (43 The Green) to discover this dramatic story during the landmark crusade for Women's Rights and fashion your own rose or ribbon to display your convictions like they did over 100 years ago.
- Tours of Legislative Hall - 411 Legislative Ave
- Home to Delaware's General Assembly since 1933, explore the grand, Georgian-style building that serves at the Delaware State Capitol Building.
- Guided tours Wednesday to Friday from 10 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.
“Founded in 1967, the Johnson Victrola Museum details the origin of recorded music. Exhibits showcase the life and legacy of Eldridge Reeves Johnson, a pioneer in early sound recording and co-founder of the Victor Talking Machine Company.”
Open from 9:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. Wednesday to Saturday at 375 S. New St.
Questions? Call (302) 739-3262, email JVMuseum@delaware.gov, or visit 375 S New St.
Family-friendly & free Monday Movie Nights on the historic Green! Movie snack pack / popcorn & drink provided. Bring blankets and pillows or lawn chairs to enjoy the show.
- DC League of Super Pets, August 8
- Minions: The Rise of Gru, August 22
In the event of inclement weather, please call (302) 736-7155 for movie cancellation information.
Questions? Call (302)-674-7541 or visit 10 Electric Ave (Schutte Park) Dover, DE.
Built in 1791, the Old State House served as Delaware's capitol during the United States' critical early years as a nation. With additions and modifications, the building continued to serve as the state capitol until 1933, for 141 years! At the Old State House Museum you can:
- Receive your National Park Passport stamp.
- Attend a guided tour Wednesday to Saturday at 10 a.m., 11 a.m., 1 p.m., 2 p.m., and 3 p.m.
- Visit the current exhibition: 'The Old State House: A True Restoration 1976-2016'
Open from 10 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Wednesday to Saturday at 25 The Green
Questions? Call (302) 744-5054, email OSHMuseum@delaware.gov, or visit 25 The Green.
Join Wesley United Methodist Church from 12 p.m. to 1 p.m. for a free community meal in their Fellowship Hall.
Located at 209 S State St.
Questions? Call (302) 678-9626, email email@example.com, or visit 209 S State St.
Is your event missing from this page? Email Jordan@DowntownDoverPartnership.com to be included!