First Saturdays! in the Capital of the First State
For added value shopping downtown, get your free Capital Key!
Follow us on Instagram at Downtown.Dover
Downtown Dover Fashion Show!
Many of our downtown merchants will be open on First Saturday, so be sure to stop in to buy their latest products and deals! Check out our "Visit Downtown" pages to learn about locations to explore downtown.
Delaware Shoppes: visit 325 S State St. for "bargain basement deals" which are not actually in the basement but are offered at huge discounts!
- Culture Exotic Snack Boutique: (142 W Loockerman St.)
- Unique, internationally sourced edible snacks that make every bite worth your money.
- Dover Art League: (21 W Loockerman St.)
- A non-profit organization dedicated to providing opportunities for local artists, quality programming, gallery exhibits, and classes. Supported in part by the Delaware Division of the Arts.
- Esteem DE: (131 W Loockerman St.)
- Buy, sell & trade shop for vintage clothing, streetwear, and sneakers. New inventory daily. Located at 131 W Loockerman St.
- La Hacienda: (33 W Loockerman St.)
- Downtown's newest restaurant is now open at 33 W Loockerman St.! Open from 11 a.m. to 10 p.m. on Saturdays. Discover more dining options in downtown Dover.
- Suds & Company: (231 W Loockerman St.)
- All natural, handcrafted body products for healthy skin. Safe for sensitive skin types.
"The Dover Green has been the heart of this capital since its 18th-century founding. Led by a knowledgeable interpreter, experience the stories of the sites and people that have defined the First State experience. There is always something new to discover each time you visit First State Heritage Park!"
- Hourly from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. from the John Bell House
- Hourly from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. from Legislative Hall
- Please where comfortable shoes and bring water
- Free to the public
Occurs from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. at 43 The Green, Dover, DE 19901 (The John Bell House).
Celebrate the first weekend of each month with complimentary admission, creative workshops, and engaging tours! Gather in the lobby at 2 p.m. for a free guided tour and to learn more about the artwork featured at the Biggs. For 40 minutes, a docent will lead the group on a tour through the museum, highlighting select pieces from the collection. Docents are trained to adapt to their group's interests, providing repeat visitors with new experiences each month.
- Stained Glass Art Workshop
- Art Deco Glass from the David Huchthausen Collection: Characterized by clean lines, geometric shapes and bright colors, Art Deco glass emerged in the late 19th century, and resurged in popularity in the 1970s. This exhibition features early 20th century glassworks by iconic Art Deco studios such as René Lalique, Daum Frères, Pierre d’Avesn, Charles Schneider, Muller Frères, Marius-Ernest Sabino, Steuben Glass Works, and many others.
Museum is open from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. at 406 Federal St. Dover, DE 19901.
Art Workshop Occurs from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m.
Guided Tour Available at 2 p.m.
Join the Ballet Theatre of Dover for a special storytime of the holiday favorite, The Nutcracker. The magical tale will be narrated with accompanying dances that will make the story come alive for all ages! Attendees will be entered into a raffle for tickets to the full theatre performance of The Nutcracker and a Nutcracker sweatshirt.
School age kids can visit the Children's Programming Room for a fun craft at 2 p.m.
Also check out the Dover Public Library Art Gallery, showcasing local artists throughout the year on the walls of the first floor. Art of multiple mediums is featured, including photography, watercolor, and collage. If you are interested in purchasing any of the art on display in the Art Gallery, please contact the artist directly. Please note that all art works stay up until the end of each show. The current exhibition on display in the Art Gallery features art by Katie Yost and Remi Poindexter through January 7. Katie and Remi are both award-winning artists from Paint Dover!
Nutcracker Storytime Occurs from 10:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. at 35 Loockerman Plaza
Super Saturday! Occurs from 2:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m.
- (302) 736-7030
“Founded in 1967, the Johnson Victrola Museum details the origin of recorded music. Exhibits showcase the life and legacy of Eldridge Reeves Johnson, a pioneer in early sound recording and co-founder of the Victor Talking Machine Company.”
Occurs from 9:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. at 375 S New St Dover, DE 19901.
Receive a guided tour of the Old State House themed, "Who Were the Signers: Delaware's Ratification Document." In recognition of Delaware Day, guided tours will focus on the stories of some of the men who signed Delaware's ratification document 235 years ago.
Built in 1791, the Old State House served as Delaware's capitol during the United States' critical early years as a nation. With additions and modifications, the building continued to serve as the state capitol until 1933, for 141 years!
You can also receive your National Park Passport stamp and view the current exhibition: 'The Old State House: A True Restoration 1976-2016.'
Guided Tour Available 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. at 25 The Green Dover, DE 19901.
Feel free to print & share a copy of the First Saturday flyer with your friends, family, and colleagues! Download here.
The DDP thanks its partners for their dedication to downtown Dover, including but not limited to: Dover Public Library, First State Heritage Park, the Biggs Museum, Restoring Central Delaware, NeighborGood Partners, the City of Dover, Kent County Tourism, the DE Division of Historical and Cultural Affairs, Destination Downtown Dover, the Downtown Dover Partnership Merchant Committee, and many, many more
Any questions? Want to have your downtown event or promotion featured? Email Jordan@DowntownDoverPartnership or call at 302-678-2940.
Navigate below to additional merchant pages.