First Fridays is now First Saturdays!
After many years of First Fridays events led by various Dover non-profit organizations, the event has now transitioned to Saturday. Come and see downtown on Saturdays, including events at parks, museums, and the Dover Public Library. And as always, check in with your hometown merchants, coffee shops and restaurants on First Saturday to round out your Saturday adventure. For added value shopping downtown, be sure to get your Capital Key!
Follow us on Instagram at Downtown.Dover
Follow us on Twitter at Downtown_Dover
This Saturday (July 2, 2022) in Downtown Dover...
- "Welcome Independence Day in old Delaware style! First State Heritage Park presents July 4th as it was enjoyed in the late 1800s: sack racing, tug 'o war, lawn games, bells ringing out the celebration, hand-cranked ice cream and more! You can join the Victorian bicycling craze as members of the Delaware Wheelmen display and mount their pedal-powered steeds or relax and enjoy musical entertainment, provided throughout the day on The Green by The Enslows."
- Also consider joining First State Heritage Park on "walking tours that will immerse you in the thrilling days of America's founding: Revolutionary Dover!"
- Event is from 10 AM to 3 PM at The Green.
- Walking Tours
- The John Bell House - 43 The Green - 10 AM to 3PM, Hourly
- Legislative Hall - 411 Legislative Ave - 10AM to 3PM
- Woodburn: The Governor's House - 151 Kings Hwy SW - 10AM - 1PM
- “Founded in 1967, the museum details the origin of recorded music. Exhibits showcase the life and legacy of Eldridge Reeves Johnson, a pioneer in early sound recording and co-founder of the Victor Talking Machine Company.”
- Enjoy the (always!) free admission and self-guided tours available Saturday from 9:30AM to 4PM at 375 S New St Dover, DE 19901
- On the First Saturday of every month, enjoy free admission to the AAM Accredited Biggs Museum of American Art and participate in a free hands on Biggs Kids Workshop! Each art workshop explore a different theme, drawing inspiration from the collection, exhibitions, or other cool topics. The fund doesn't end there. Grab a Family Guide for a child friendly explanation to understanding and interpreting art using examples currently on display. Then, check out the blue QR code tour to "Play" with us by going on a scavenger hunt!
- Opening Exhibition: Tom Wilson: Super-Realist/Surrealist: "Delawarean Tom Wilson studied art at the Rhode Island School of Design. Living in New York and eventually Paris, Wilson enjoyed the new visibility of LGBTQ artists while working as a top fashion model of the 1970s. After returning to Lewes in 1981, Wilson built a career on rendering photorealistic architectural studies of southern Delaware before succumbing to complications of the AIDS virus in 1995. This exhibition unveils the work of this artist and the community that supported his career." (Closes October 15, 2022)
- Current Exhibitions:
- Award Winners XXII - Each year, the Biggs Museum of American Art, in partnership with the Delaware Division of the Arts, exhibit the work of the Division's annual Individual Artist Fellows at the Award Winners exhibition. The Division recognizes artists throughout the state for their outstanding quality of work in the areas of choreography, folk art, jazz, literature, media arts, music, and visual arts through these arts. (Closes July 23, 2022)
- Open from 10AM – 4PM at 406 Federal St Dover, DE 19901.
- Built in 1791, the Old State House served as Delaware's capitol during the United States' critical early years as a nation. With additions and modifications, the building continued to serve as the state capitol until 1933, for 141 years! Stop in to receive your National Park Passport stamp, and go on a guided tour at 10 AM, 11 AM, 1 PM, 2 PM or 3 PM.
- Reading of the Declaration: Activities members of the Old State House staff will read the Declaration of Independence to the people of Dover reenacting the event that happened in July 1776.
- Currently exhibiting: 'The Old State House: A True Restoration 1976-2016'
- Open from 10 AM to 4:30 PM at 25 The Green Dover, DE 19901
- Super Saturday! - From 2PM - 3PM visit the Dover Public Library's Children's Room for a variety of fun crafts and activities for kids of all ages! No registration required.
- Teen Tie-Dye - From 3PM - 4PM visit the Reading Garden and Teen Loft for a free bandana to tie dye from the Library. You can also bring something that you'd like to tie dye as well!
- Also check out the library’s great resources, such as books and movies rentals, the Teen Resource Center, Transparent Language, Universal Class, and much more!
- Open from 10AM to 5PM and located at 35 Loockerman Plaza Dover, DE 19901.
Many of our downtown merchants will be open on First Saturday, so be sure to stop in to buy their latest products and deals! Please check out our Merchant Showcase to learn about even more locations to visit downtown. Want to unlock additional value? Check out our free Capital Key Program and sign up at tinyurl.com/DoverCapitalKeyReg.
Delaware Shoppes: visit 325 S State St. for "bargain basement deals" which are not actually inn the basement but are offered at huge discounts!
La Hacienda: Downtown's newest restaurant is now open at 33 W Loockerman St.! Open from 11 a.m. to 10 p.m. on Saturdays.
The DDP thanks its partners for their dedication to downtown Dover, including but not limited to: Dover Public Library, First State Heritage Park, the Biggs Museum, Restoring Central Delaware, NCALL, the City of Dover, Kent County Tourism, the DE Division of Historical and Cultural Affairs, Destination Downtown Dover, the Downtown Dover Partnership Merchant Committee, and many, many more
Any questions? Want to have your downtown event or promotion featured? Email Jordan@DowntownDoverPartnership or call at 302-678-2940.