First Fridays is now First Saturdays!
After many years of First Fridays events led by various Dover non-profit organizations, the event has now transitioned to Saturday. Come and see downtown on Saturdays, including events at parks, museums, and the Dover Public Library. And as always, check in with your hometown merchants, coffee shops and restaurants on First Saturday to round out your Saturday adventure. For added value shopping downtown, be sure to get your Capital Key!
This Saturday (June 4, 2022) in Downtown Dover...
- “Founded in 1967, the museum details the origin of recorded music. Exhibits showcase the life and legacy of Eldridge Reeves Johnson, a pioneer in early sound recording and co-founder of the Victor Talking Machine Company.”
- Enjoy the (always!) free admission and self-guided tours available Saturday from 9:30AM to 4PM at 375 S New St Dover, DE 19901
- Celebrate the 25th Annual Delaware Pride Festival, the single largest LGBTA gathering in Delaware! Featuring a parade, live entertainment, drag queens, food and beverage sales, craft vendors, information resource booths, and more! The festival is a family-friendly event and people of all ages and sexual orientations are welcome.
- Parade from 9AM - 10AM. There will be 2 entertainment stages, over 100 vendors, a kid zone, and a beer garden too until 5 PM!
- Confirmed Entertainment On the Main Stage: Pandora Boxx from RuPaul's Drag Race, Pepper MaShay, Manhattan Prairie Dogs, Aunt Mary Pat DiSabatino, Chris Jehnert, Robert Bannon, Shadina, J-Line, Rainbow Chorale of Delaware, Jamie LeRose, Skylar Love
- Confirmed Entertainment on the Drag Stage: Cherry St. Cartier (2014 DE Pride Newcomer), Ashley Lynn (2012 DE Pride Open), Tatiyanna Voche (2021 Miss Western States America), Danielle Revlon, Tina Montgomery, Lady Mahagony, Miss Troy, Tamia Mykles, Deception Daae, Monroe, Hannibal Lickher, Fefe LaDada, Xander Valentine, Diamond Doll, Brenda LaMour, Sasha DuBoyz, Der'eon, Asia Monroe, Aura G.
- Occuring from 9AM to 5PM at 411 Legislative Ave. Dover, DE 19901 (Legislative Hall)
- On the First Saturday of every month, enjoy free admission to the AAM Accredited Biggs Museum of American Art and participate in a free hands on Biggs Kids Workshop! Each art workshop explore a different theme, drawing inspiration from the collection, exhibitions, or other cool topics. The fund doesn't end there. Grab a Family Guide for a child friendly explanation to understanding and interpreting art using examples currently on display. Then, check out the blue QR code tour to "Play" with us by going on a scavenger hunt!
- Opening Exhibition: Award Winners XXII - Each year, the Biggs Museum of American Art, in partnership with the Delaware Division of the Arts, exhibit the work of the Division's annual Individual Artist Fellows at the Award Winners exhibition. The Division recognizes artists throughout the state for their outstanding quality of work in the areas of choreography, folk art, jazz, literature, media arts, music, and visual arts through these arts. (Closes July 23, 2022)
- Current Exhibitions:
- Guild Hall: An Adventure in the Arts: Selection from the Permanent Collection of the Guild Hall Museum. “Featuring 72 works from the permanent collection of Guild Hall in East Hampton, New York, this exhibition notably includes artwork by Jackson Pollock, Willem and Elaine de Kooning, Andy Warhol, Roy Lichtenstein, and Chuck Close. Paintings, sculptures, drawings, prints, photographs, and mixed media works will trace the progression of art movements in the U.S. from Impressionism to Abstract Expressionism to Contemporary Arts of the 1980s and 1990s.” (Closes June 18, 2022)
- Open from 10AM – 4PM at 406 Federal St Dover, DE 19901.
- Returning after a smashing debut in 2021! Check out Delaware’s own National Historic Park, First State Heritage Park, at the 2nd Annual Victorian Picnic on the Green! Experience the Dover Green as it was meant to enjoyed! Bring a blanket and enjoy a historically-inspired picnic lunch under shady trees, a nine-piece brass band, popular Victorian lawn games, crafts, gloriously costumed interpreters, and more. And coming in costume is ENCOURAGED! This is a free family-friendly, fan-favorite event.
- (Optional): Purchase a meal voucher for a historical lunch. The meal voucher costs $25 and includes four different meal combinations, including a vegetarian option. Event coordinators will reach out to you to select your preferences. Click here to buy tickets.
- Beverages available at Cobblestone Cafe.
- Ice cream available from Tre Sorelle Dolce.
- Open from 11AM to 3PM and located at 43 The Green Dover, DE 19901. (The Green)
- Visit Delaware Villages Event Page
- Check out the library’s great resources, such as books and movies rentals, the Teen Resource Center, Transparent Language, Universal Class, and much more!
- Open from 10AM to 5PM and located at 35 Loockerman Plaza Dover, DE 19901.
Many of our downtown merchants will be open on First Saturday, so be sure to stop in to buy their latest products and deals! Please check out our Merchant Showcase to learn about even more locations to visit downtown. Want to unlock additional value? Check out our free Capital Key Program and sign up at tinyurl.com/DoverCapitalKeyReg.
The DDP thanks its partners for their dedication to downtown Dover, including but not limited to: Dover Public Library, First State Heritage Park, the Biggs Museum, Restoring Central Delaware, NCALL, the City of Dover, the DE Division of Historical and Cultural Affairs, Destination Downtown Dover, the Downtown Dover Partnership Merchant Committee, and many, many more
Any questions? Want to have your downtown event or promotion featured? Email Jordan@DowntownDoverPartnership or call at 302-678-2940.